The Vanderhorst Family

The Vanderhorst Family

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tribute to Working Moms

This morning I "woke up" and felt like I got run over by a dump truck.

I got about 90 minutes of solid sleep last night. The other 6-ish hours were spent laying on the floor next to Andrew's crib holding his hand, because that's the only way he would sleep. I went back and forth between his crib and Hailey's pack-n'-play in our bedroom, because she was having a rough night too. At one point I was holding Hailey and nursing her while sitting on the floor and holding Andrew's hand as he slept. 

I'm sure my zombie-like appearance this morning was amusing and somewhat terrifying to my sweet husband, who took the kids while I could get a few more minutes of sleep while he got ready for work. Then at 9 am, both the kids and I were about to lose it, so we all laid down for about an hour nap. 

That's when it hit me--what the heck do working moms do when they don't get sleep the night before?! 

I mean, I guess you could take a sick day every once in a while, but those nights that you're up with the children seriously all night come way more often than any amount of PTO. 

I thought to myself how grateful I was that I didn't have to rush in the morning to get ready for work while trying to feed children and get them dressed for the day. I'm grateful that it's 2 pm and no one judges me for still being in my PJ's without any makeup on. 

I can take a nap during the day while my kids rest, while working moms push through the tiredness and continue at their jobs.

When do working moms:

~Find time to take their kids to doctor's appointments? I can never get Andrew scheduled for a Saturday appointment, so they would have to leave work early to get their kids to appointments.
~Find time to clean apartments/houses? Or not even time, just energy! Being a wife and mom is my full-time job, but doing those things on top of a job? How!
~Find time to grocery shop?
~Find time to unwind?
~Find time to cook?

The list could go on.

In the midst of all the mommy wars that seem to go around the internet about who is more busy or who's job is more noble and one-upping each other, blah blah blah, I just wanted to write a post from me, as a SAHM (stay-at-home mom--took me forever to figure out that acronym), to all you working moms. Seriously, I really admire how well you keep your kids and families together, and how you never stop working (whether it's at home or in a professional setting). I know us SAHMs stay plenty busy too (so please, no mommy wars here!), but I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate all the women that get 90 minutes of solid sleep, and then put on their makeup and do their hair and go out into the world and appear presentable and functioning without the chance to get a nap in during the day. Or catch up on laundry. Or clean. Or cook. Or grocery shop. To all you women, I salute you! 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously--it's tough. I'm only working part time, and sometimes I still wake up feeling like I'm going to just die at work. I have even fallen asleep at my desk before...

    ReplyDelete